Connecting you to the NDIS
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) gives you more flexibility to choose services based on your child’s individual needs, goals and aspirations.
Early Connections are here to help.
Step one – Are you eligible for the NDIS
- Unsure if you are eligible? Speak to Early Connections on 02 6583 8238 or visit the NDIS access checklist
- Children/families receiving disability services prior to 1 July 2017 will be prioritised for transfer to the NDIS and do not need to independently apply to the NDIS.
- The NDIA (7+ years) or an NDIS ECEI Transition Provider (0-7 years) will contact you to assist with the transition.
Step two – Apply for the NDIS
Children ages 0-7 : Early Connections is an NDIS ECEI Transition Provider. This means we can assist you to apply for NDIS services.
Children ages 7+ : You need to apply directly to the NDIA by calling 1800 800 110 or visiting your local NDIA office
Step three – if eligible to receive a NDIS plan
- Children ages 0-7 : You will be contacted by an NDIS ECEI Transition Provider to take part in a planning meeting and create a plan. Your NDIS plan is submitted to the NDIA for approval.
- Children ages 7+ : You will be contacted by the NDIA to take part in a planning meeting and create a plan. which is then submitted for approval.
- When your NDIS plan is approved, you will receive a funding package and can seek services relevant to the goals and budgets within the plan.
Early Connections are happy to discuss the services we can offer you.
You have your NDIS Plan – what next?
You have the option to choose a local service provider to suit your needs. Early Connections is happy to discuss the services we can offer you.
How we work: We build a team around your child to make sure your family receives Excellence in Early Childhood Intervention. With 30 years experience connecting families to the best supports on the Mid North Coast you’re in the right place. Our team of experienced professionals work with you to give your family the support you need early to maximise your child’s potential.
We work in a number of ways following ECI Best Practice Guidelines to best suit your child’s needs. This could be:
- Individualised sessions for you and your child
- Small groups of 4 – similar aged children with the same needs
- social skills
- fine motor
- school readiness
0-7 years – Early Childhood Intervention with a Key Worker
All families are assigned a Key Worker, your primary point of contact who connects your child to the right professionals in our team. The Key Worker will guide you to choose from the following services depending on your child’s needs.
Children 7+ years – can choose from the therapies listed below
Your choice of Early Childhood Intervention Services
- Sensory Processing
- Motor Development
- Self Regulation
- Equipment Prescription
- Speech sounds and comprehension
- Expressive language
- Alternative or augmentative communication
- Communication difficulties
- Stuttering and lisps
- Social and life skills like feeding difficulties
- Gross Motor Development
- Postural Strength
If you have concerns about your child’s behaviour, social development or anxiety a psychologist can give you strategies to help.
- Down Syndrome
- Development delays
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Behavioural problems
- Learning difficulties
- Bullying or friendship issues
- Anger management
- Separation anxiety and fears
- Sibling Rivalry
Where will your child receive therapy?
Early childhood interventions services can be provided in the location that best suits your child and families needs. Options include:
- Your home
- Your child’s Early Childhood Centre or School with their agreement
- The Early Connections Locations at Wauchope, Port Macquarie, Lake Cathie.
- Community locations that suit your family like the local park
When can your child visit for an appointment?
The Early Connections team works 8.30am -5.00pm during school terms and school holidays. You can choose the frequency of your visits and depending on staff capacity will aim to meet your requests.
Additional support for you
Thanks to the generosity of Clubs Grants NSW we operate the following free Playgroups for enrolled families. Session times are 9.30-11.30am and you are invited to bring morning tea and a drink for your child.
- Baby Toddler playgroup on Wednesday .
- Connect playgroups on Tuesday and Friday.
What if I need more help with the NDIS?
- You can talk to an organisation that you are currently working with for guidance.
- You can contact NDIS – Ph: 1800 800 110 or at www.ndis.gov.au